The Upward Bound Program at the University of North Texas is an academic enrichment program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. It is part of a group of three programs known as TRIO Programs which were begun in 1965. There are now seven programs, all of which assist students in enrolling in completing post-secondary education. TRIO Programs include Educational Opportunity Centers, Talent Search, Upward Bound, Upward Bound Math and Science, Veteran's Upward Bound, Student Support Services, and the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program.
Upward Bound (UB) is an intensive intervention program that prepares students for higher education through various enrichment courses. UB provides students instruction in literature, composition, mathematics, science, and foreign language during the school year and during a six-week residential component in the summer. UB also provides intensive mentoring and support for students as they prepare for college entrance exams and tackle admission applications, financial aid, and scholarship forms.
The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
Upward Bound is important to me because without the program, my senior year would’ve been a stressful one. My classmates constantly complain about how hard it is to apply for FAFSA or to find an available spot to take the SAT or ACT, but thanks to Upward Bound these are things i’ve been able to do easily with the help of the staff. Upward Bound provides me with multiple tutoring opportunities when I need the extra help. The program also gave me the opportunity to tour campuses I would’ve never been able to visit on my own. Although the staff of Upward Bound is awesome, the members make it all the better. Being around people who share the same goal as you really pushes you to be your best. I would definitely not be the student I am today if it weren’t for Upward Bound.
- Jackie Sanchez, 2018 Graduate
Schools UB Serves
The program is sponsored by the University of North Texas and is limited to serving only 90 students annually in rural areas of Denton and Wise County. Upward Bound serves the following schools:
Decatur High School
Denton High School
Guyer High School
Ryan High School
Sanger High School
Academic Year Component
During the academic year component, students attend approximately 20 bi-monthly Saturday meetings on the UNT campus. Denton County students provide their own transportation. Upward Bound provides van transportation for Wise County students with pick up in Decatur. Other services include campus visits, field trips, and tutoring.
- Saturday: On specified Saturday mornings, meetings begin at 8:45 am and end at 12:50 pm. Granola bars, fruit, yogurt, and juice are available. Upward Bound has a general meeting before activities begin in order to inform students of any events and to talk about current business. After the general meeting, students participate in a variety of activities including tutoring, academic classes, cultural enrichment activities, and workshops. Students contribute positively to the activity.
- Mid-Week Tutoring: Tutors are available during the week by appointment to assist students who require extra help in their academic subjects.
- School Visits: Upward Bound visits students in their schools throughout the academic year to provide academic and personal advising.
- Grades: Every six or nine weeks, Upward Bound receives students’ grades from schools.
Upward has taught to be independent and live with out mom and dad as well as meet new people and help me grow as a person. They have taken me step by step to college, teaching me studying habits, asking for help and how to manage my time. I have a second family at Upward Bound, I’ve made lifetime friends and created memories that put a smile on my face.
- Alex Nieto, 2018 Graduate
Students participate in a six-week residential summer component on the UNT campus. The summer component allows students to experience college life by taking academic classes, receiving counseling, and participating in various activities and cultural events. At the beginning of each summer, Upward Bound provides students and their families with a summer events calendar, with dates for check-in and check-out, field trips, and evening activities.
For more information about TRIO Upward Bound please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.